Another pretty bookish week behind me. I successfully posted twice (twice!) on my blog this week in addition to Links I Loved (pat on the back). I finished thriller The Woman In The Window by A.J. Finn – which was very good – and spent Friday in my beach tent in front of the Pacific reading Ready Player One. I followed that up by watching the movie on Friday evening, so keep your eyes peeled for my Book To Screen comparison post.
This week I want to keep up a more regular posting schedule (fingers crossed) and also start ordering books I want to have on hand to get signed during the LA Times Book Fest. I’m also hoping to finish reading The Cadaver King And The Country Dentist by Radley Balko and Tucker Carrington, The More Of Less by Joshua Becker and the audiobook of The Japanese Lover by Isabel Allende. Next on my list will be Book Of The Month pick from January 2018 Red Clocks by Leni Zumas.
But enough about my reading agenda. Without further ado, here are this week’s links…
- Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week’s topic was Top Ten Books That Take Place In Another Country (full list of links here) so if you’re looking for novels set in different locales than usual, you’ve come to the right place. My favorite posts from other book bloggers included those on: A Cocoon Of Books, Sarah’s Book Shelves, The Hungry Bookworm, Helen’s Book Blog, Reading Ladies Book Club, Secret Library Book Blog, Read What I Like, Dear Reader, Hopewell’s Public Library Of Life, Reading Every Night, Dwell In Possibility and Greenish Bookshelf.
- Many bloggers posted their March 2018 Wrap-Up lists towards the end of the week. I always look forward to monthly Wrap-Up time, both to marvel at how much everyone has read and also of course to peruse the recap posts for recommendations. I particularly enjoyed the posts on A Dance With Books, Reading Every Night, Avalinah’s Books, Flavia The Bibliophile, Emily’s Escapist Books And Reading, BookBum, Keeper Of Pages, Books & Munches, Pace Amore Libri, Callum McLaughlin, Arctic Books, The Misstery, Bionic Book Worm and Sarah’s Book Shelves.
- Book Of The Month revealed their April 2018 releases yesterday and I was very happy to see that 3 of the books I featured in my list of April 2018 releases I’m looking forward to were included in their April picks. I selected all three for my box – Circe by Madeline Miller, The Oracle Year by Charles Soule and The Girl Who Smiled Beads by Clemantine Wamariya – and can’t wait to receive and review them. What did you end up picking if you subscribe?
- A few of the books on my April 2018 releases also received positive reviews from some of my favorite bloggers. Dear Mrs Bird by AJ Pearce was featured on Me And My Books and Cleopatra Loves Books, The Oracle Year was reviewed on Bookidote, and The Girl Who Smiled Beads was featured on Mrs Bloggs The Average Reader.
- I had a very Ready Player One focused weekend, as I mentioned, so I was very interested to read comparisons of the novel and movie on The Bandar Blog and Bookidote. They had similar opinions to mine – that the movie wasn’t bad in and of itself but that it was disappointing in how far it strayed from the novel. I’ll be posting my own comparison post later this week.
- Last but most certainly not least, it was the Transgender Day Of Visibility on March 31st, and Paige’s Pages decided to highlight this important day with a list of 5 books that feature transgender experiences. A few were already on my radar and I definitely want to read more on the topic so it jogged my memory to make an effort to do so soon.
- And as always, if you’re looking for even more bookish links, The Secret Library Book Blog has her post up as well!
- Here are the individual book reviews I read this week that inspired me to consider reading the books they covered:
- Keeper by Johana Gustawsson on Clues And Reviews (mystery)
- Before I Let You Go by Kelly Rimmer on Novel Gossip (contemporary fiction)
- The Beloveds by Maureen Lindley on Jessicampa Reviews (mystery)
- The Naturalist and Looking Glass by Andrew Mayne on Naty’s Bookshelf (thriller)
- The Italian by Ann Radcliffe on Curiouser And Curiouser (classic)
- Our House by Louise Candlish on Cleopatra Loves Books (thriller)
- Land Of Lost Borders by Kate Harris on Book Reviews For The So Inclined (memoir)
- Mister Tender’s Girls by Carter Wilson on Keeper Of Pages (thriller)
- Only Child by Rhiannon Navin on My Chestnut Reading Tree (contemporary fiction)
- Anatomy Of A Miracle by Jonathan Miles on Novel Visits (contemporary fiction)
- On Tuesday I published my December 2017 Book Of The Month reviews for The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (5 stars), The English Wife by Lauren Willig (4 stars) and The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor (4 stars). I’m hoping to have the reviews for my January 2018 picks up not this week but next.
- On Thursday I put up my usual monthly post on releases I’m looking forward to this month. The list for April 2018 included a pretty wide variety from history (both fiction and nonfiction), fantasy and memoirs. Between Book Of The Month and Net Galley I expect to read at least four of the titles I picked for this month, so look out for those reviews.
- I have two posts planned for this week. First a review of The Wangs Vs The World by Jade Chang including details on the author event I attended at which I heard her speak and a giveaway of a signed hardcover copy of the book. I’m also planning a Book To Screen feature on Ready Player One by Ernest Cline for later in the week. If I can top that off with a review of the ARC I got of true crime title A False Report by T. Christian Miller and Ken Amrstrong, I’ll be super happy.
Any articles or blog posts from the book world that you really enjoyed this week? Share them in the comments!
Please note this post contains affiliate links for Book Depository.